Summers @ Colgate U
Annual STEM and Shakespeare Institute @ Colgate UniversityFor the 5th Summer in a row, Excellence Community Schools partnered with Beginning with Children to prepare rising 8th-12th grade students for success in and beyond college by hosting the S.T.E.M. & Shakespeare Institute @ Colgate University. This summit is a week long immersion that exposes students to the rigors of college prep academics by providing residential and extracurricular activities that deepen understandings of the collegiate experience. Study Hall was also hosted daily to allow them to work on papers, presentations and to meet with professors.
- National STEM Video Game Challenge
- Coding: Website Development
- Law: Mock Trial
- Politics: “Lean in Or Dig Deep”, “Great Political Debates”
- Personal Development: “Live By Design, Not by Default”
- Shakespeare: Much Ado About Nothing, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Hamlet
- Personal Finance
- Investment Portfolio Challenge
- Epidemiology of AIDS
- Energy and Innovation
- CAD, Design, Computer Programming and Rapid Prototyping with 3D Printing
Institute participants experienced what it's like to be a college student and begin to build the social-emotional and scholastic competencies required to successfully navigate the university experience. During the day and scholars also had free time to play sports, participate in team building or attend local sites and places of interest.